Sunday, September 25, 2016

Dating - Vocal of the Week September 26th

1. Date 
2. To have a crush (on somebody)
3. To dump somebody
4. Ex
5. To hit on somebody

1. Date (noun) Two people getting together for an activity, usually with the possibility of romance. A date can occur before a couple has entered into an “official relationship,” or after they are officially together. 
Related: to date (someone), to go out with, to be seeing someone
Example 1)
“Yeah, Mike and I went on a date last night. He's cute, but I'm not sure if I want to get involved with him or not.” 


2. To have a crush (on somebody) (phrasal verb) To have a crush on somebody is a great feeling and it means that you’re attracted to somebody and would like them to be more than just your friend. And if somebody has a crush on you, well it’s the same – they like you in a more intimate way.        

Example 1)
“I have the biggest crush on Simon. He’s so cute!”
“Isn’t he dating Jenny Parkes?”
“No, not anymore, apparently they broke up a few weeks ago!” 
“Cool!”
Instead of saying have a crush you can also just say crushing on – it means the same thing but it’s usually used among the younger generation and teenagers.  
     
Example 2)
“Oooh, you’re so crushing on Michael right now!”
“I am not! We’re just friends!” 
“Liar! I can tell you like him.”
“Is it that obvious?”

3. To dump somebody (phrasal verb) If you dump somebody, you’re probably going to break their heart. If you dump your boyfriend or girlfriend it means you stop having a romantic relationship with them for some reason. And if you’re dumped, it means that somebody doesn’t want to date you anymore – don’t worry, there are plenty more fish in the sea! (There are many more great single people out there to date).     

Example 1)
“What’s wrong with Amy? She’s been walking around the campus all day looking sad and like she’s going to start crying anymore.”
“Didn’t you hear? Alex dumped her last night! Just don’t mention his name at all!”
“Wow, I’m surprised. They always looked so happy together!”

Example 2)
“Landon looks so mad! What happened?” 
“He and Samantha broke up.”
“Oh no, who dumped who?”
“I’m not sure, but I have a feeling it was Sam!”


4. Ex (noun) Usually if you hear to a friend referring to their ex, they’re referring to their old boyfriend or girlfriend who they no longer date. But if you put it with another noun for example ‘boss’ ex-boss it means your boss from before. I met my ex-boss in the supermarket the other day and he asked me to come back and work for him. I’m not going to now I’ve found this awesome new job.        

       Example 1)
 “Who was that guy you were talking to before?”
“Oh Cam? He’s my ex!”
“And you’re still friends?” 
“Kind of, we only broke up because he moved to LA.” 

         Example 2)
“My ex always sends me messages on Facebook. I wish she’d stop, it’s really annoying!”
“Tell her, or just delete as your friend!”

From: http://www.fluentu.com/english/blog/american-english-slang-words-esl/


5. To hit on someone (phrasal verb) to flirt with someone, to make a pass (at someone) with the clear intention of having romantic relations with him or her. 

Example 1)
“This guy at the club was totally hitting on me last night. He kept asking me to dance and gave me his number.”



Biz Markie - Just a Friend



No comments:

Post a Comment