Sunday, September 25, 2016

Present Perfect & Present Perfect Continuous

Present Perfect 
has/have + past participle

I've had lots of girlfriends.


PRESENT PERFECT : Unspecified Time Before Now

The exact time is not important. 

You CANNOT use the Present Perfect with specific time expressions such as: yesterday, one year ago, last week, when I was a child, when I lived in Japan, at that moment, that day, one day, etc. 

We CAN use the Present Perfect with unspecific expressions such as: ever, never, once, many times, several times, before, so far, already, yet, etc.

1. Experience

I have been to France 20 times. 


2. Change over time

You have grown since I last saw you. 


3. Accomplishments 

She has won 3 Oscars for best actress.


4. An Uncompleted Action You Are Expecting or VERY, VERY RECENT ACTIONS

The rain hasn't stopped yet. 

Jones hasn't mastered Chinese, but he is very good at it. 

I've just run to the store, I'll be back soon. 


5. Multiple Actions at Different Times

We've had 6 tests so far this year. 


TIME EXPRESSIONS:
Sometimes, we want to limit the time we are looking in for an experience. We can do this with expressions such as: in the last week, in the last year, this week, this month, so far, up to now, etc.


Present Perfect Continuous

has/have + been + present participle


1. Duration from the Past Until Now

We've been talking for the last hour.

2. Recently, Lately

I've been really busy lately. 


ACTIVE & PASSIVE FORMS?

No comments:

Post a Comment